I heard about this detox/cleanse on the Today Show and then found it described more thoroughly on Joy Bauer's website (www.joybauer.com). J. and I are going to start it tomorrow and see how it goes.
Here’s how it works:
Breakfast Joy’s Protein Power In a blender, combine 3/4 cup skim milk (for vegan plan, substitute soy or ), 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup frozen raspberries, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1 scoop vanilla whey proteinpea protein powder), 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 5 ice cubes. Blend until smooth and frothy. Optional black coffee or tea. powder (for vegan plan, substitute soy, rice, or
- Follow the same daily menu for three to five days in a row.
- Eat only what is listed on the menu — no added sugar, honey, sugar substitute, salt, salad dressing, condiments, etc.
- Drink only what is listed on the menu — no soda, fruit juice, alcohol or diet beverages.
- Enjoy black coffee or tea at breakfast (regular or decaffeinated).
- Drink two 8-ounce glasses of water within 30 minutes of eating your lunch and dinner meals. Drink as much additional water as you’d like throughout the day.
- Drink one cup of regular or decaffeinated green tea after your lunch, afternoon snack and dinner.
- If you’d like to make this plan vegan, see simple substitutes at breakfast and dinner.
Lunch Drink two 8-ounce glasses water (with optional lemon) within 30 minutes of eating. Drink as much additional water as you’d like during the meal.
1 pink or red grapefruit
- Unlimited spinach leaves
- Unlimited antioxidant-rich produce (Best choices include bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, red onions, broccoli, and sliced beets. You may also add cucumbers, mushrooms, celery, and cauliflower.)
- 1/2 cup red kidney, pinto, or black beans
- 1 tablespoon toasted, chopped pecans
- Dress with 1 teaspoon olive oil and unlimited balsamic or red wine vinegar
1 cup green tea
Snack 1/2 cup unsalted pistachio nuts (in shell)
1 cup green tea
Drink two 8-ounce glasses of water (with optional lemon) within 30 minutes of eating. Drink as much additional water as you’d like during your meal.
Unlimited baked, grilled, broiled, or poached fish — good choices include cod, halibut, haddock, and wild salmon, seasoned with fresh lemon and (for vegan plan, substitute sautéed tofu)
Unlimited steamed broccoli with optional fresh lemon and black pepper
1 cup green tea or naturally caffeine-free herbal tea
I'm hoping this will be a good way to kick start (my ass) into eating better and getting some exercise. It sounds like plenty of food, it's not some nutty cayenne pepper-lemon-maple syrup thing, and I think I really will feel "cleaner" after a couple of days of eating this way.
I have high blood pressure and use way too much salt (I heart salt) so this like a good opportunity to get some of that out of my system.
Coffee without cream and sugar? Yeah, I don't think so. I can tell you right now that that ain't gonna happen.
I'm looking forward to starting this tomorrow morning!